Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Week 4


G'day all

Wow, what an exciting week you've had? I'm sure you're all exhausted from resuscitating and bandaging each other as well as having your heads full of new medical vocabulary! I hope you all get a lot from the course as well as passing the assessments and getting a First Aid Certificate.

By now you should all be ready to do your presentations on Monday (except for Lei and Yang who have until Monday week). The ones I've read look very interesting. I'm looking forward to hearing you all speak on Monday.
Don't forget to PRACTISE, PRACTISE, PRACTISE.

For your work today, we are going to use some of the tasks
from Rosa's blog.

1. Tuesday was Melbourne Cup Day. Do you know anything about it? Check the information in the Australian Government Culture and Recreation Portal, Melbourne Cup, and answer the following questions:
What is it?
When does it take place? (time and date)
What happens to the nation on that day?
What is a sweep?
What would you be looking for if you checked the milliners directory on the Racetrack Fashions link?
How long has the Melbourne Cup been around (existed/taken place)?
Which is Austalia's most famous racehorse? Why?
What can you see
in the National Museum of Australia?
Who won the 2006 Melbourne Cup?
What do you think about all of this?


Use the answers to these questions to write a short report about the Melbourne Cup, with your opinion about it at the end. You can compare it to other celebrations or festivities in Australia or in your country of origin.


2. Last Tuesday Luisa Odelli, one of the college career counsellors, gave a talk about educational & vocational pathways. She showed us two very useful websites with course and work information:


TAFE Find a Course and My Future. You should start thinking about your pathway for next year.


3. Today's ESOL Forum question is about drivers. First do this short dictation in Time4English: Advanced 3L, Bad drivers!.


Then go to the last entry of our ESOL forum and give your opinion. Don't forget to read everyone else's opinion before you write yours.

4. We are going to start looking at writing invitations and refusing invitations. Visit this website, English Works! and read the notes on how to write invitations. Choose one of the three invitations and on paper, prepare a polite reply saying you can't attend the event. Hand the reply to me and we'll look at the language and structure together.


This afternoon before we continue with The Castle, I'll give you some information about replying to Invitations.

Well, that should keep you all busy for a while! Happy blogging!




Last weekend I waslucky enough to go to Port Douglas for a couple of days. I was invited with my husband to the launch of the new Toyota Landcruiser. It was also a celebration of the 50th anniversary of the arrival of the first Toyota landcruiser in Australia. The theme for the launch was very Australian with horses and stockmen riding on the beach. Toyota was hoping that the new car could arrive on a barge to the beach but windy weather stopped that from happening. The other days I was free to explore the sights of Port Douglas including the Skytrain and the Great Barrier Reef.


BubbleShare: Share photos - Here comes Halloween!">


2 comments:

Jocelyn said...

What amazing place! Wish I can go there too someday. I want to see the views how beautiful it is. I want to take some photos to show it to my family.

Miya said...

Did you see the Melbourne Cup,I know the Melbourne cap strated on 6/11/2007 in Melbourne,but I did see them,I have a friend took to me it was very nice.I wish I can see next time!